With July coming to an almost rapid close, it is time to start preparing for back to school, and various Fall adventures. Before we break out the boots, jeans, sweaters and hoodies, I want to remind you to enjoy the remainder of the month of July but also enjoy all that August has to offer. July is a very hard month for me and with a very good friend of mine going into major surgery tomorrow morning, I am reminded yet again that life is just too damn short. One minute you are here complaining because they forgot to add cheese the next you are laid up in a pine box. Don’t let any moment go by without sharing your joy, love, concern for others.
It’s not too late to rock that bikini, work hard to run that 5k or ask that cute guy out who you work with. Dive into the possible and expand your expectations.
All hail seductive carrot.
With enough squats, you two can have thighs just like this carrot (ha!).
It’s the little things that mean the most. Meow.
For those brave enough to wear full face of makeup in this nasty weather I commend you. For everyone else, here is a quick tip on looking fresh even if you aren’t feeling fresh.
Face: Cleanse twice a day with a very mild cleaner. Getting some cold water on the back of your neck will help cool you down as well. Hold off on the foundation and everything else since it’s so warm (unless you are in the AC all day). The heat is only making you sweat which means your makeup is clogging your pores even easier. This time of year, let your skin breathe.
Eyes: Hold off on the mascara and eye liner and shadow. My liner (even the waterproof stuff) runs into my eyes on hot days like this. It’s annoying and pointless.
Lips: You lipstick is going to crack and come off faster due to how much more water you are drinking due to the heat. Stock up on some lip stuff with SPF in it or use Vaseline. I swear by that stuff and always have a small jar of it in my bag. It keeps your lips extra smooth for smiles and kisses.
Hair: Throw it into a bun. Invest in some cute accessories from the dollar store but put it up and get it off your neck. Headbands, clips, pins – you name it, try it! For those ladies with short hair, rock those awesome accessories while us with long hair look at you with envy for the next 2 months. I will be back to styled, shiny hair in no time. I can barely wait!
Stay cool, drink plenty of water and go easy on the booze. Never forget to be you, and rock your natural beauty!
Visible Panty Line is a constant struggle because a lot of clothing items aren’t lined anymore. Lined meaning, there is an extra layer of material between you and the garment to avoid seeing any bumps, lumps or panty lines. They also don’t make slips anymore like they used to either. The new thing is shape-wear which I am not a fan. I think it’s confining, constricting and uncomfortable. The closest I get is control top panty hose when it gets cooler out for more dressy and formal occasions.
For all the other times, wearing the right underwear is crucial.
- Cotton: This is by far the best fabric to buy for your body. It’s also a great choice to wear under denim.
- Satin/Silk: This may feel silky and smooth but is not ideal for all day wear, unless it has a cotton panel. Yeast infections are a very real thing.
- Lace: It’s pretty and feminine but can be seen through almost anything. I say keep this to lingerie unless that’s the look you are going for.
- Polyester/Rayon: This fabric is becoming more and more common in place of satin or silk because it’s cheaper to make and produce. The same rules apply, if it doesn’t come with a cotton panel, don’t bother with them.
- Lycra/Spandex: It’s tight. It will stretch out faster no matter how well you wash it and it’s more expensive. You can wear this under formal dresses, semi formal wear, work clothing as well. It doesn’t breath well either, so pray there is a good A/C wherever you are going.
- Hipsters: This is my favorite style to wear as far as every day is concerned. It sits at the top of your hips, right below your belly button. It’s comfortable, trendy and can be worn with pants, skirts, and various short styles. I wouldn’t recommend it under a dress because of the dreaded “roll down” then you have to pray you have a moment to run to the bathroom to adjust yourself.
- Boy Shorts: This is a fun style that a lot of people enjoy. It can be worn under almost everything and is very comfortable. It does allow for more coverage of your tushie and sits at your belly button.
- Thong: Be careful with this style. It might be sexy but it’s not ideal to wear all day.
- High Waist: This is great under dresses and dress pants. It allows for the coverage, comfort and seamless effect.
My rule of thumb is prepare your undergarments as well as you prepare the outfit you are wearing. The right underwear can save you a lot of embarrassing situations in life, also can save you from doing that shuffle-walk in an effort to adjust yourself. Invest in good quality underwear that will last a while for your formal and professional ocassions. Do not feel like you are stuck buying from one store because there are a lot of retailers that sell plus size items. Also, don’t feel bad if you end up buying cheap, every day stuff either. Things stretch out over time, get holes and don’t fit as well as they did before. Toss them, move on and be happy – your bottom half will thank you. With each season, go through your drawer and discard. You know what needs to stay and what needs to go.
This is my faux pas with underwear done on purpose. Yoga pants can be awesome but dangerous. Just be mindful of where your top is. That’s my hip and part of my stomach.
See that blue monster peeking out from below deck? March back in there, mister!
I work out. I lift weights. I eat healthy for the most part. I started committing more time and energy in all this back in Dec of 2012. I have not kept tract of weight or inches lost but I can feel and see differences. No matter what, I try to commit at least 30 minutes a day to being active. Sometimes I hate working out, especially in the summer. It’s so hot out and I feel lazy. Who wants to exercise for an hour in this heat? Ugh.
So, I have made a conscience effort as of late to start doing more despite the weather. This new relationship has equaled me (and him actually) gaining weight. It’s disturbing how much truth there is when they say you gain “happy weight.” Who’s happy about an extra 10lbs? Ha! I’m not saying I will become a size 2 ever – it’s not going to happen on my frame BUT (butt – lol) I want to look better naked, slow down the aging process, be healthier and have more kids soon.
The only workout I do on a consistent basis is various weight lifting exercises and squats. I keep debating on joining a gym so it will help motivate me in doing more cardio but we’ll see. I might opt for different fun classes so I won’t get bored. Pilates is always a good time / serious kick in the butt and I have yet to try Zumba.
What are you doing to stay healthy?