Online shopping can be fun and exhausting at the same time. We start with one idea with a quick dot com attached and then we’re down a 2 hour rabbit hole with no end in sight. I like the List feature on Amazon a lot. It helps collect ideas that you can save for later and share with others.
I know for a lot of families, they plan ahead of shopping routes, stores sales, whose car can hold the most stuff, and which big ticket item they are buying this year months before Black Friday is even a thought in most of our minds. I’m not even kidding when I say they map routes. I have known people throughout the years that would literally map out their routes and hand out copies to family members to score the best deal on that majestic Friday. I think military strategists could take a lesson or five from them. I know for some families, they have the tradition of getting up early and going shopping on Friday, or just enjoy the thrill of the hunt; not so much the long lines, possible fighting, and waking up hungover from booze and turkey filled stomachs. Is there really any advantage of all the effort shopping and planning? I think years ago it was beneficial to shop that day to save money, but with the way things are now, most companies offer better sales all through the year, especially after big marker holidays.
What are you stocking up on this Fall ?
Instead of flooding your feed with Do’s & Don’t’s that may or may not work for the next 6 months, I invite you not hold on so tightly to trends. If you want to try it, do it.
- I wear white all year round.
- I wear bright colors all year round because I love it.
- I hate brown clothes.
- Button up shirts are my enemy.
- I hate how hard it is to find a well fitted turtleneck sweater.
Stores that I often shop in:
- Burlington Coat Factory: I put them first because you really can find many complete outfits at great prices here. I love this store and have to have such restraint on going. Whether you are plus sized or straight size, they have great stuff that is on trend and affordable.
- Target: Target is very hit or miss. Lately it has been a miss but for you plus sized ladies out there, hit their maternity section on a sale. You can get nice stuff that is usually a longer length and tends to fit better. Their maxi dresses are my favorite because they are long enough.
- Walmart: Believe it or not, some of their plus stuff fits well and is priced well.
- Forever21: This store is great for more unique items to spice your every day up, plus their jewelry is insanely cheap.
- Nordstrom: They actually have a great plus size section that is made with better material and a better quality than other stores. If you are going to pay a lot for something, you may as well get the best quality you can.
Stores that I am beginning to love:
- H&M: If the price is right, I will start buying more from them.
- ASOS: They have such cute stuff! I was recently turned on to them too. This is why it’s so important to share what you know. There are so many hidden gems out there.
Stores that I can’t stand anymore:
- Lane Bryant: Their clothes are way over priced, the material is cheap and the fit is horrible on a plus sized figure. Their models are usually a size 10-12 at the most and they pin the clothes back on the girls so it looks fitted. Don’t waste your time and money.
- Ashley Stewart: Same goes for them. I don’t understand why they are raising their prices. Have you seen or felt their material? Yuck!
Break out of the norm, hit up a thrift store – be unique and be happy.
Flowers of Paradise Collection
Canvas Lunch Bag – $15.99
- 12.5″ x 8″x 5.5″ canvas
- Roll to close with secure velcro
- Phthalate, BPA and Lead-Free
Looking for something unique to bring to the office? Maybe your child wants a different kind of lunch bag for the school year. This great, unique item with custom artwork is a fine selection for any age group.
Make the most out of your meals on the go!
I do my best each season to clean out my closet, beauty bag and beauty containers. This way I don’t feel as guilty splurging for new items. Also, when you donate your goods, you can deduct them at the end of the year. Cool, huh? It’s like cash just sitting around in your closet collecting dust. If you aren’t into that, having multiple yard sales through the year is another great resource for turning a profit on things you no longer need, want or use. The other end of this is by visiting various yard sales or visiting your local thrift shop, you can find new goods at low prices. There are some consignment stores that do this, but sometimes they can be as expensive as the name brand store itself.
With Fall approaching, don’t focus too much on which trends are floating around. Some of those trends are very ill fitting on a curvy woman and it is better to stock up on the basics while adding a hint of color, pattern or personality to each outfit.
Work Basics: Fitted jackets, great slacks and skirts, cute flats and modest heels – It’s good to have various pieces that can be mixed and matched together, that way you will never run out of things to wear. You can always throw in various pattern tights for a fun twist in the office.
Casual Basics: If you are a demin kind of woman, invest in a quality pair of jeans. It can be very hard to find jeans that fit. I personally hate them but to each their own. It is better to invest in a more expensive pair that fits you well because it will last longer. If you opt for something cheaper, be prepared for it to fade and not last more than a year. Other basics to remember are thin and thick style tops that can be layered that are various sleeve length. Here in the North East part of the US, our Fall weather can be just about anything from somewhat warm days to very cold nights before winter sets in. Be ready! Hoodies and sweatshirts are great for those cool nights but look for something more put together. Save the super casual stuff for nights in at home.
Dressy Basics: Wedding season isn’t just once a year anymore, it can be all year round for some. It’s important to have some cocktail dresses stocked in your closet just in case. I can’t count how many times I have had to rush to a store in search of something to wear to a formal occasion. It’s a pain, it’s annoying and it’s unnecessary. Buying a few key items that you can switch things up by adding a scarf, new shoes or great jewelry helps and extends the life of the items in your closet. I like to browse and shop at the end of a season when things are on sale or already on clearance. You’d be surprised at how a cardigan or blazer can change a dress or how opaque tights can warm you up but also slim you down. Give a shot – be bold!
Makeup Basics: Play with new colors that blend well with neutrals for your skin tone that can go from day to night or meetings to that great dinner date. A time saver for your makeup routine is to do basic foundation, eye liner, mascara, and your favorite color lip gloss or lipstick. This fall, deep crimson and various mauve’s can be your best friend through either lip gloss or lip stick.
Remember to have some fun when it comes to fashion and keep it tasteful. It is more important to showcase who you are versus what item you have on your body.